Most email apps nowadays archive read and junk emails instead of deleting them. We show you how to permanently delete these junk emails on your iOS device in five steps.
Gmail was the first app to start archiving junk emails by default. Since the online storage capacity has only increased in recent years, many mail apps have followed suit. If you prefer to permanently delete unwanted emails, it may be difficult to find the exact settings for this. By following the steps below, you can be sure that unwanted emails are actually removed.
- Open the settings screen on your iOS device and go to ‘Mail, Contacts, Calendar’;
- Select the email account from which you want to permanently delete the unwanted emails
- Tap on the name of your email address and then on ‘Advanced’;
- In the advanced menu, go to deleted messages. Press ‘Deleted’ once;
- Press the ‘Account’ heading once and then click ‘Done’ at the top right.
From now on, all your deleted messages will actually be thrown away. When you open an email on your iOS device, you will see that the archive icon has been replaced by a trash can icon. If you press this icon, the app will ask again if you are sure you want to permanently delete this mail.
→ Read more? Check out our extensive tip page with more tricks!