‘Many Dutch people are in financial trouble due to fuel prices’

Save now, even worse later

Refueling Nissan Micra gas station gas station

No surprise: about 85 percent of ANWB members are not fans of the proposed increase in fuel excise duty by about 21 cents per liter. Perhaps a surprise: a large number of them already say they have to save money to pay for fuel, and are doing so in all kinds of areas.

It will not surprise anyone that 85 percent of the 1,201 members surveyed by the ANWB are not very happy with the proposed 21 cent increase in excise duty, the result of the partial reversal of a previous reduction. We even wonder who the other 15 percent are, but that is of course not what this story is about. Much more relevant is that 26 percent of respondents indicate that they are already cutting back, precisely because of high fuel prices.

This often happens in several areas at the same time. 72 percent of savers are eating away at their savings, 61 percent are limiting the number of holidays or outings, 60 percent are trying to save on daily shopping and 59 percent are limiting or minimizing eating out.

A smaller, but still significant group at 26 percent, says they save on car maintenance. Of course, the ANWB has more than anyone else the right to conclude that this increases the risk of breakdown, but apparently these people see no better way.

No alternative to car

Contrary to what is sometimes thought, the car is certainly not a hobby project for a large proportion of respondents. A third of respondents indicate that there is no alternative to the car at all when it comes to commuting. If there is an alternative, public transport or cycling will result in an additional travel time of half an hour to more than an hour in no less than 75 percent of cases.

The proposed increase in excise duties is the result of the reversal of an excise duty reduction implemented in April 2022. This was a temporary concession from the government at a time of exceptionally high fuel and energy prices, so it is not surprising that this measure is being reversed. However, this is also subject to an inflation correction and we are already faced with a suggested retail price for petrol of around 2.30 per litre. With the intended 21 cents added, we would immediately have a record price of more than 2.50 per liter.

– Thanks for information from Autoweek.nl

Recent Articles

Related Stories

Stay on op - Ge the daily news in your inbox