Red Bull on team orders: ‘Accept Max’s reasoning’

‘Online hate must stop’

Red Bull on team orders: ‘Accept Max’s reasoning’

Red Bull Racing comes with a statement following the events between Max Verstappen and teammate Sergio Pérez last Sunday. The team says it accepts Verstappen’s statement and believes that the debate about this on social media is completely derailed.

Max Verstappen was told in Brazil last Sunday that he would have to let teammate Sergio Pérez past at the end of the race if he could no longer overtake Fernando Alonso. Pérez desperately needs the points to finish second in the championship, after all Verstappen has already won his second world title. Nevertheless, Verstappen did not let his teammate pass and expressed his frustration with these team orders. The Dutchman came in for a lot of criticism, from Pérez and from many Formula 1 fans. Red Bull is now forced to respond to this with an official statement.

According to the team, Verstappen was informed too late during the race and such a situation was not discussed in advance. “We did not foresee the situation that occurred on the last lap and we had not agreed a strategy before the race for such a scenario. Unfortunately, Max was only informed of the request to give up position in the last corner without any all the necessary information was passed on. This put Max, who has always been an open and honest team player, in a compromising situation with little time to react, which was not our intention.” This statement is striking, because Verstappen was not only ordered to let Pérez pass in the last lap, he was told earlier that he had to do so in case he could not pass Alonso.

No matter how you look at it, according to Red Bull, after the race, what happened was discussed extensively and in good order with both drivers. That is consistent with the statement that Pérez gave earlier this week. “After the race, Max spoke openly and honestly, allowing both drivers to resolve any outstanding issues or concerns. The team accepts Max’s reasoning, the conversation was a personal matter that will remain private between the team and no further comment will be made.”

‘Online behavior shocking’

Red Bull hopes that this is the end of the matter and that the fans can also put the events to rest. According to the team, this is badly needed, because the discussion about the incident on social media has gotten quite out of hand here and there. “The abusive online behavior towards Max, Checo, the team and their respective families is shocking and saddening. Unfortunately it is something that we as a sport have to deal with with depressing regularity. It has no place in racing or society at large “, says the team, among other things.

.

– Thanks for information from Autoweek.nl

Recent Articles

Related Stories