WhatsApp Web lets you chat on a Mac or PC, but also makes it possible to use WhatsApp on your iPad. We show you how this handy feature works.
WhatsApp iPad: this is how it works
With the rollout of WhatsApp Web for iPhone users, the chat app can be used on your computer, but an iPad version is still missing. There will probably not be, since the chat app does not work without your phone number and WhatsApp does not find the iPad a suitable device. Still, there is a way to use WhatsApp on the iPad using WhatsApp Web.
In the steps below we explain how it works. You can also watch our video in which we walk through the process step by step.
WhatsApp Web on your iPad
- Open Safari on your iPad and go to https://web.whatsapp.com/
- Tap the share icon (the square with the arrow) in the top bar and choose ‘Ask for desktop site’ to load the full website;
- Then a qr code will appear on the screen. In the WhatsApp app on your iPhone, press ‘Settings> WhatsApp Web’ and scan the code;
- You will be logged in and can now use WhatsApp on your iPad;
- Tap the share icon again and choose ‘Add to home screen’ to put WhatsApp Web on your home screen of your iPad.
That was it! It is now possible to WhatsApp on your iPad and continue with the conversations you started on your iPhone. However, it is important to ensure that both your iPad and iPhone do not go offline during use; otherwise the web version simply won’t work. This is because your iPhone is still the device that WhatsApp should connect to.
Also read: How to use WhatsApp Web with your iPhone
In the App Store you can also find various third-party apps with which you can use WhatsApp on your iPad. However, the apps work in the same way as WhatsApp Web, but appear as a separate app on your home screen. Examples of apps are iPad Messenger for WhatsApp and Messenger for WhatsApp.
The latest news on WhatsApp
- Explanation: Import animated stickers into WhatsApp (25-3)
- Tip: This is how you transfer WhatsApp conversations from Android to iPhone (17-3)
- Opinion: Making WhatsApp less encrypted is a recipe for misery (10-3)
- (Video) calling with WhatsApp Desktop now possible: this is how it works (4-3)
- WhatsApp gets disappearing photo function (3-3)