Do your armpits smell unpleasant despite deodorant? You can counteract this with our tips against the smell of sweat. Here you can find out which lifestyle minimizes the smell of sweat and which home remedies help with heavy sweating.
The smell of sweat can not only be unpleasant, but can also significantly affect your self-confidence. If you are suffering from this annoying problem, you are not alone. But don’t worry: There are some effective tips against the smell of sweat that you can implement in your everyday life without much effort or extra money.
Tips against the smell of sweat: Where does sweat come from?
The fact that we sweat more at high temperatures or during physical exertion is not only completely normal, but also important for the health of our body. Because our organism has to sweat to regulate body temperature. Increased sweating can also be triggered by nervousness and spicy food. According to NetDoktor, in these cases we speak of emotional sweating and taste sweating.
However, in some cases, excessive sweating can also be the cause of an illness. The transition from healthy to pathological sweating is fluid. If you often sweat profusely in everyday life, it is advisable to have this checked by a doctor to rule out more serious illnesses.
1. Tip: Healthy and mild diet
Spicy, sour, fatty and rich foods trigger more intense taste sweating. According to NetDoktor, this is because these meals stimulate metabolism and therefore heat production. To sweat less, you should avoid eating hot spices, acidic foods or very fatty dishes. Instead, it’s better to resort to light meals that are only mildly seasoned.
According to Öko-Test, alcohol, coffee and smoking also lead to increased sweating. Another tip against the smell of sweat is to avoid these luxury foods if possible.
2nd tip: The right clothing to prevent the smell of sweat
The most effective tips against the smell of sweat include choosing the right clothing and footwear:
- Choose airy clothing, preferably made from plant-based fibers such as cotton and linen instead of synthetic fabrics.
- The onion look principle has also proven to be a helpful tip against the smell of sweat: It is better to wear several light layers on top of each other, such as a T-shirt and a thin cardigan, instead of a heavy sweater. If you get too hot, you can simply remove one of the layers.
- Also make sure you have the right footwear. If you have sweaty feet, (vegan) leather shoes with full-length leather soles are the best option as they breathe better than rubber, plastic or wooden soles. Airy sandals are a good choice in summer. Remember to change shoes occasionally throughout the day to reduce moisture and avoid unpleasant odors.
3rd tip: baking soda and baking powder to combat sweat
According to Öko-Test, baking soda is not only suitable for cleaning and baking, but also to combat the smell of sweat. Baking soda and baking powder have an antibacterial effect and can neutralize unpleasant odors.
- To do this, mix a teaspoon of baking soda or alternatively baking powder with a little water until a thick paste is formed.
- If you want a fresh scent, add a few drops of lemon juice or essential oil.
- Then apply this paste under your armpits and leave it on for about 15 minutes. Then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- It’s best to repeat this process every morning for a few weeks to effectively neutralize the smell of sweat.
You can also use this baking soda paste as a cheap and natural deodorant alternative.
4. Tip against the smell of sweat: Sage
The tried and tested tips against the smell of sweat also include using sage. You can benefit from its antiperspirant effects by drinking several cups of lukewarm sage tea daily or using a sage poultice.
- For the tea you only need a teaspoon of fresh or dried sage leaves.
- Boil them in about two cups of water and let them steep for about 15 minutes.
- After the tea has cooled, dip a cloth in it and place it on the areas where you sweat particularly heavily for a few minutes.
- Repeat this application several times a day.
5th tip: Lemons as a natural deodorant
Another home remedy for the smell of sweat includes lemons. These not only provide a fresh smell, but thanks to their acidity they also cause the sweat glands to contract.
- To use lemons to combat the smell of sweat, simply rub your armpits with fresh lemon halves.
- Make sure that enough lemon juice gets into the armpit.
- Let the juice sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Then, if necessary, wash it out again with a little water.
- Repeat the process several times a day if necessary.
Read more on Techzle\.com:
- Heavy sweating on the head: What helps against head sweat
- Fan in the heat: yes or no?
- Sweaty feet: The best tips and home remedies