Plantain tea is an excellent home remedy for cough. Find out here how you can easily prepare it at home and how it works.
Ribwort plantain as a medicinal plant
Plantain is common throughout Europe and is used as a medicinal plant due to its health-promoting ingredients. Loud Federal Center for Nutrition (BZfE) belong to the health-promoting ingredients:
According to the BZfE, plantain infused as a tea is well suited as Home remedies for cough and hoarseness because its ingredients have an expectorant and anti-irritant effect. The mucilaginous substances protectively cover the irritated throat mucosa. Ribwort is therefore part of many cough teas that you can buy in pharmacies.
Plantain tea as a home remedy for cough
You can buy ribwort plantain leaves fresh or dried, for example in the pharmacy or online at **Amazon. How to prepare the plantain tea:
- Put one or two teaspoons of leaves in a cup.
- Pour 250 milliliters of boiling water over them.
- Let the tea steep for ten minutes and then strain the leaves. Your tea is ready!
Since ribwort can taste a bit bitter, sweeten the finished tea with a little honey if necessary.
tip: Honey has an antibacterial effect and can therefore also help against coughs and colds. If the temperature is too high, however, the antibacterial effect is lost. So let your tea cool down a bit before adding the honey. Pay attention to Buying honey also on certified organic production or buy it directly from the local beekeeper.
Ribwort tea: Collect and store leaves
You can find fresh ribwort almost everywhere. It grows mainly on the edges of paths, on meadows, pastures, fields and even on rubble sites. So you don’t have to buy it, you can also collect it:
- Be careful not to collect the ribwort directly next to busy traffic routes, as it can then contain many pollutants.
- The best harvest time for ribwort is in spring just before flowering. The leaves are used for tea.
- It is best to process the ribwort plantain leaves fresh. You can also dry them and make them last longer.
- To dry, just hang a bouquet of fresh leaves upside down in a warm, shady place. When the leaves are dry, place them in an airtight, dry container and store in a cool, dry place. More tips: Drying herbs – 4 herbs that work well.
Plant ribwort plantain
Often Spitzwegerich settles all by itself in lawns. If you have your own garden, you may be able to harvest the medicinal herb yourself.
You can also plant ribwort plantain yourself:
- Choose a sunny and warm location.
- Since ribwort is rather undemanding, a rather dry soil is suitable.
- You can sow the plantain or plant it as a young plant. Since it usually appears by itself in the garden at some point, you can dig out an existing plant and reinsert it in the bed.
- If you buy plantain in stores, pay attention to the organic quality of the seeds and the origin.
Read more on Techzle.com:
- Ribwort cough syrup: A recipe for the home remedy for cough
- Home remedies for irritable cough: These tips work quickly and safely
- With these remedies, hay fever becomes more bearable