The HomePod and HomePod mini now have support for YouTube Music thanks to a new app. But what can you actually do with it and how do you set it up?
YouTube Music available on HomePod
The HomePod and HomePod mini have become a bit better. Both smart speakers now have support for YouTube Music. Both the first generation and the second generation of the HomePod have received the update.
With YouTube Music on HomePod you can now:
- Give voice commands with Siri (or with the buttons on the HomePod) to play music;
- Handoff Support: Continue playback between iPhone and HomePod;
- Control options in Apple Home.
The support for YouTube Music was announced by YouTube itself in a post on Reddit. It was previously known that YouTube was working on this new feature, but it is now finally available.
Set up YouTube Music on HomePod
To use Siri with YouTube Music on the HomePod, you still need to set something up.
Set up YouTube Music on the HomePod (mini)
- Open the YouTube Music app;
- Tap your profile picture at the top right;
- Go to ‘Settings > Connected apps’;
- Choose ‘Connect to HomePod’;
- Log in with your Google account and follow the steps.
Don’t see the ‘Connected apps’ option? Then you have to force close the YouTube Music app. Swipe up from the bottom of the Home screen. Select YouTube Music from the list and swipe the app preview up to quit the app. Don’t forget to accept YouTube Music for the HomePod when you receive a notification from the Home app.
Once you have done that, you still have to set YouTube as default on your HomePod or HomePod mini.
- Open the Home app on your iPhone or iPad;
- Tap the button with the three dots;
- Choose ‘Home settings’;
- Tap your name under ‘People’;
- Under the heading ‘Media’ you will find all the services you have added. Under ‘Standard provision’, select ‘YouTube Music’.
Please note: to connect YouTube Music to your Apple smart speakers, you need a YouTube Premium (or YouTube Music) account.
Don’t have a HomePod yet? And with YouTube Music support, would you even want one? Then check our HomePod 2023 price overview. Then you can be sure that you will not pay too much!
Do you think the HomePod 2023 is too expensive? Then the HomePod mini is a good choice. This small version can do almost as much as its bigger brother, for a fraction of the price.
More Apple news
YouTube Music: now also on the HomePod (mini) – this is how you set it up
Why you should wear your next iPhone on your clothes
iOS 17.1 is coming and AirDrop for Windows (#iPhone news 42)
The best iPhone wallpapers of the week (Wallpaper Weekly #42 2023)
This is how much it costs Apple to convert the iPhone 15