Significantly fewer cars will also be scrapped in 2023

Twice as many batteries collected as in 2022

car dismantling demolition scrap yard used parts arn

Every year tens of thousands of cars are deregistered for disassembly, but each year there are fewer than the year before. Also in 2023. According to Auto Recycling Netherlands (ARN), the number of scrap cars offered to dismantling companies was at a historically low level last year.

According to Auto Recycling Netherlands (ARN), 159,262 scrap cars were offered to car dismantling companies last year. That was 176,887 in 2022 and 220,926 in 2021. In 2020, the number of scrap cars offered for disassembly stood at almost 226,000. The reason behind this is quite easy to guess.

Indeed: cars in the Netherlands are being discarded at an increasingly later age. The average age at which a car is deregistered for disassembly in the Netherlands was 19 years and seven months at the end of last year. This is what Paul Dietz, General Manager of ARN, says. Dietz expects the average lifespan to increase slightly again this year. In the Netherlands, cars are on average older than in other Western European countries. In 2022, the average age of a passenger car in the Netherlands was 11.7 years. For comparison: in Belgium and Germany, passenger cars are on average 9.8 and 10 years old. In France 10.8 years and in the United Kingdom 10.3 years. Luxembourg has the youngest cars in Europe. The average age is 7.9 years. There are no more recent figures.

As in 2021 and 2022, the entire car recycling chain achieved a so-called recycling performance of 98.7 percent. European rules dictate that the recycling performance must be at least 95 percent. Furthermore, a total of 263,373 kilos of car batteries were offered for recycling, more than twice as much as in 2022. Of the collected lithium-ion batteries, 74 percent were recycled, the remaining 26 percent were given a second life.

– Thanks for information from Autoweek.nl

Recent Articles

Related Stories